The NHS winter COVID-19 vaccination programme provides vital protection to those eligible and their families over winter, keeping people from developing serious illnesses, and helping to minimise hospitalisations during busy winter months.
Eligible adults can book their COVID-19 vaccination now on the NHS App, on the NHS website or by calling 119 for free if you can’t get online, if you’re registered with a GP surgery in England.
If you’re eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine, you can:
You do not have to wait for an invitation before booking an appointment.
From Monday 11 September 2023, people at greatest risk of serious illness from COVID-19, including care home residents, over 65s and frontline health and social care workers, are eligible for an autumn vaccine booster.
The following people are eligible for an autumn COVID-19 booster:
- residents in care homes for older adults
- all adults aged 65 years and over
- people aged 6 months to 64 years in a clinical risk group, including pregnant women, as defined in tables 3 and 4 of the COVID-19 chapter of the UKHSA Green Book on Immunisation
- frontline health and social care workers
- people aged 12 to 64 years who are household contacts of people with immunosuppression, as defined in the UKHSA Green Book
- people aged 16 to 64 years who are carers, as defined in the UKHSA Green Book, and staff working in care homes for older adults
This is because the risk of severe COVID-19 continues to be strongly associated with increasing age and underlying health conditions.
People who develop a new health condition or start treatment that severely weakens their immune system may also be eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine if a clinician advises them to get vaccinated sooner.
Eligible people will be contacted directly by the NHS.
If you are worried, please speak to your healthcare provider for more information.
Find out more about COVID-19: guidance for people whose immune system means they are at higher risk on the Government website Find out here about Long-COVID Find out here about the winter flu vaccination programme Find out how to register with a GP practice on the NHS website
NHS Greater Manchester urges all pregnant women to get both their winter vaccines All Eligible Greater Manchester Residents Urged To Get Their Winter Vaccines As Soon As Possible