Stigma around grieving, and a lack of understanding about what it means to be ill and what happens when you’re dying, mean that too many of us are struggling to cope when faced with life’s inevitable challenges.
And the workplace is no exception. 57% of employees will have experienced a bereavement in the last five years (Hospice UK, 2022) and every day, more than 600 people quit work to look after older and disabled relatives (Carers UK, 2019). And yet, fewer than one in five managers feel as comfortable as they could supporting someone they manage with a bereavement.
We spend so much of our lives at work – and we shouldn’t have to hide our experiences of death and dying from our colleagues, our peers, or our bosses.
If Dying Matters – then it matters at work too.
Events to get involved in
Palliative and end of life services across Greater Manchester are getting involved. Here are some of the events open to the public:
- Wednesday 3rd May 2023, 10am – 3pm. Fairfield General Hospital, Old Road, Bury, BL9 7TD. Visit the stall outside the Broad Oak Restaurant for information, raffle and much more.
- Thursday 4th May 2023, 10 – 3pm. Salford Royal Hospital, Stott Lane, M6 8HD. Visit the stall outside of Marks and Spencer for information, raffle and much more.
- Friday 5th May 2023, 10 – 3pm. Rochdale Infirmary, Whitehall Street, OL2 0NB. Visit the stall outside the café for information, raffle and much more.
- Tuesday 9th May 2023, from 9am. Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9WL. Visit the Atrium (near chaplaincy) to get involved.
- Tuesday 9th May 2023, 12noon – 2pm. NHS England online event. Open to anyone interested in finding out more on frailty, palliative care and advance care planning. Click here to book your place.
- Thursday 11th May 2023, 11am. Hospice UK online event. A webinar to provide you with practical advice, tips and tricks on how to start workplace conversations about dying matters. Click here to book your place.
- Friday 12th May 2023, 12noon – 1pm. Wigan and Leigh Carers Centre, 3-5 Frederick St, Hindley, Wigan WN2 3BD. A drop in session for any carers to meet the local hospice team, talk with other carers and to have a cuppa.
- All week. Bury Hospice, Rochdale Old Road, Bury BL9 7RG. A display for people visiting the hospice to get information and a packet of sunflower seeds and chocolate.
Links to further information
- Greater Manchester Palliative and End of Life Care Network
- HospiceUK, Compassionate Employers Workforce Support Programme
- HospiceUK, Dying Matters Awareness Week