NHS Greater Manchester is helping residents get to know where to go for medical help during the junior doctors' industrial action

Junior doctors in the region will be going on strike from Thursday 27th June

Ahead of the industrial action, NHS Greater Manchester is sharing information to help residents get to know where to go if they need medical help during the strike.

The strike is taking place from 7am, Thursday 27th June until 7am, Tuesday 2nd July. This is part of an ongoing dispute between junior doctors and the Government.

People who need the NHS during this time are being asked to choose the correct service to help with their health needs. This includes using 111 online and only using 999 if it is a serious or life-threatening emergency. This will help to make sure there is medical help available to everyone who needs it.

GP practices will continue to be open during the junior doctors’ strike, though some practices may have members of staff striking. Please continue to attend your GP and dental appointments unless you are contacted and told not to.

Mr Dilraj Sandher, executive medical director for Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust said: “The NHS is asking the public to play their part during industrial action to look after themselves, loved ones and checking in on family members and neighbours who may need help.

“It’s really important that you attend medical or dental appointments unless you have been told differently.

“If you have regular medication, remember to order your repeat prescription in plenty of time so you don’t run out. Your GP practice will be open, but may it be busier than usual.

“Regardless of any strike action taking place, it is really important that people who need urgent medical care continue to come forward especially in emergency and serious life-threatening cases’.”

Where you can get help – get to know where to go

NHS 111

Use NHS 111 online for all non-emergency healthcare needs. If you need help for a child under five years, when you should call 111.

Deaf people or people with hearing loss can dial 18001 111 on a textphone. You can also use the Relay UK app (which can be downloaded from Apple’s App Store or Google Play Store).

NHS 111 Online can help if:
  • You need help but don’t know who to call
  • How to find general health information and advice
  • You are ill and need to be told what to do next
  • How to get an emergency supply of your prescribed medicine


For minor conditions remember to go to your local pharmacy. If your health issue isn’t one of the seven Pharmacy First conditions or something a pharmacist can’t already help with, you may be advised to see your GP.  How pharmacies can help.

There are pharmacies open late into the night and very early in the morning. Find your nearest one here: Find a pharmacy – NHS (www.nhs.uk).

Urgent dental care

The Greater Manchester Urgent Dental Care Service is available from 8am to 10pm every day, including weekends for severe dental pain and infection.

People can call 0333 332 3800 to be assessed by a healthcare professional, who can provide advice or book you an appointment, if needed.

Urgent eye care

Free urgent eyecare is available across Greater Manchester.

If you have a sudden and urgent problem with your eyes, you can contact a local practice to get an appointment: NHS Greater Manchester Community Urgent Eye Care Service (CUES) – Primary Eyecare Services.

Mental health

For free urgent mental health support, people can contact one of these 24/7 helplines – they’re available to anyone of any age. If there’s an immediate risk of danger to life, you should ring 999.

  • Bolton, Manchester, Salford, Trafford, and Wigan 0800 953 0285 (freephone).
  • Bury, Heywood, Middleton & Rochdale, Oldham, Stockport, and Tameside 0800 014 9995 (freephone).

Information for the public on industrial action (strikes)

Share this post